The political theory of fascism
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the documents in
World History Archives and does not
presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to
release their copyright.
- Eternal Fascism: Fourteen Ways of Looking
at a Blackshirt
- By Umberto Eco, originally in New York Review of
Books, 22 June 1995, as excerpted in Utne
Reader, November-December 1995. It is possible to
outline a list of features that are typical of what I
would like to call Ur-Fascism, or Eternal Fascism.
- The only difference between Communism and
- By Haines Brown, contribution to a dialog in the
alt.politics.communism newsgroup, 18 July 2002. Argues
that the affinity of communism and fascism is an artifact
of bourgeois ideology, of empiricism.
- Fascism: What it is and how to fight it
- By Leon Trotksy, The Militant, [10 May
2003]. Excerpts from Fascism: What It Is and How to
Fight It, a pamphlet by Leon Trotsky published by
Pathfinder Press, 1996. The fascist movement in Italy,
Germany and the United States. As a bourgeois
- Fascism and what is coming
- Michael Novick, Anti-Racist Action-LA/People Against
Racist Terror (ARA/PART) with responses from other ARA and
anti-fascist activists, 9 June 2003. There are, roughly
speaking, three views of fascism out there: 1) the way
fascism presents itself; 2) the way competing rulers, and
competing strategies and ideologies within imperialism
present it; and 3) the way working class oriented
revolutionaries, whether anarchist or socialist, have
traditionally seen it. I think all those views are
- Facism Anyone?
- By Laurence W. Britt, Free Inquiry
Magazine, [15 July 2003], followed by a critique by
Chip Berlet. Identifies traits common to fascist regimes
and demonstrates their being the antithesis of
- Roots of fascism...
- By Bernard Switalski, 18 April 2004. Rather than develop
an argument, Swatalski assembles brief quotations in
support of his view that that fascism is but a sect of
socialism and therefore working class ideology therefore
shares the attributes of its fascist offspring.