History of Computer Technology
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the
documents in World History Archives and
does not presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to
release their copyright.
History of world telecommunications and media
Privatization of Internet
- Closing the Information Highway
- By Richard K. Moore, from "Toward Freedom", Dec 97/Jan 98. Elite domination of cyberspace
as crucial to globalization (imperialism).
- Wall Street Journal lies promote privatization of Internet essential functions
- 27 October 1998. Wall Street Joural's misrepresentation of the character of Internet to obscure its
privatization to preclude democratic control.
The Y2K problem
- The Year 2000 Bug Is a Menace, No Doubt About It
- By James P. Bond, coordinator of year 2000 operational initiatives at the World Bank,
International Herald Tribune, 27 January 1999. Developing countries are
ill-prepared, and are particularly sensitive.
- Y2K Trade Problems Loom For Poor Countries - UNCTAD
- Reuters, 3 July 1999. A senior official of U.N. Conference on Trade and
Development (UNCTAD) fears a lengthy trade disrupion for developing countries.