The history of children and youth in the Democratic
Republic of the Congo
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the documents in
World History Archives and does not
presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to
release their copyright.
- Paedophilia Threatens Congo's Retreat,
- By Louis Patrick Okamba, PANA, 10 August 2000. During
the 1997 civil war in the DRC, Pointe-Noire seaport in the
south became an important retreat centre for people and
services. Perverse sexual behaviour is endangering many
- Congolese Rebels Accused of Drafting
- Child Labour News Service Press Release, 5 June
2001. The major rebel group in eastern Congo continues to
recruit children to wage war against the Congolese
government. Recruitment efforts since late 2000 by the
Congolese Rally for Democracy-Goma (RCD-Goma) and the
Rwandan army troops who support it.
- Children Suffer Torture, Rape And Cruelty,
- UN Integrated Regional Information Networks, 18 June
2003. Systematic torture and cruelty during the
country's five-year war.
the largest humanitarian
crisis on the planet right now with the smallest amount of