The contemporary political history of the Republic of Kenya,
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the documents in
World History Archives and does not
presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to
release their copyright.
- Kenya National Patriotic Front
- Headlines sent by Joseph Munyaneza, 18 February 1995,
concerning the February Eighteen Movement (FEM) and Kenya
National Patriotic Front (KNPF), Moi's accusations of
foreign interference, the laws against sedition, and
electronic media licensing.
- Who is Backing Kenya's
- By Charles Wachira, 27 March 1995. The February 18
Revolutionary Army (FERA), led, according to Nairobi, by
Brigadier John Odongo.
- Imperialism complicates Kenya's
- By William Pomeroy, People's Weekly
World, 2 September 1995. Impact of structural
adjustment on the Moi government.
- Proposed Legal Reforms—A Start Towards
Human Rights Protection?
- Amnesty International, 2 June 1997. How significant is
President Moi's amendment of the repressive Public Order
- Amnesty International gives reforms cautious
- Amnesty International news release, 12 September 1997. The
combined forces of ruling party and opposition
parliamentarians in Kenya agree upon legal reforms, but its
a long way from implementation. Many issues remain
outstanding. Concern for human rights in face of coming
- General strikes called in Kenya
- The Militant, 22 September 1997. The National
Convention Executive Council, a coalition of religious
leaders, unionists, and student activists in Kenya, issued a
call for nation-wide strikes demanding that President Daniel
arap Moi repeal laws restricting democratic rights such as
freedom of assembly and expression.
- Government's commitment to human rights
reform doubtful as violence is used to break up pro-democracy
- Amnesty International news release, 10 October
1997. Despite government promises, opposition rally broken
up and leaders arrested, as reform is debated in
- News on organizing around the MAI in
- By Jagjit Kaur Plahe, Eco News Africa, 15
December 1997. Concerning the struggle in Kenya against