History of the Organization of the American States (OAS)
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the documents in
World History Archives and does not
presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to
release their copyright.
- The United States and the OAS
- From Democracy Backgrounder, a publication
of the Interhemispheric Resource Center, 6 September
1995. Review of Stephen J. Schnably,
Commitment as a Call to Democracy in the United States:
Evaluating the OAS Role in Haiti, Peru, and
Guatemala. Inter-American Law Review,
- Panama hosts XXVI OAS General
- Central America Update, 1-15 June
1996. Agenda included a controversial rebuke of
U.S. policy toward Cuba. Part of the consensus document
called for the creation of an OAS commission to help ease
the transfer of the Panama Canal to Panamanan hands.
- OAS meets on its fiftieth
- Weekly News Update on the Americas, 7 June 1998. The
28th General Assembly of representatives of 35 countries
belonging to the Organization of American States meet in
Caracas, Venezuela, on its 50th anniversary.
- Open letter to the Organization of Americas
States. 30th Anniversary of the American Convention on Human
Rights and 20th Anniversary of the Inter-American Court on Human
- Media Advisory, International Secretariat of Amnesty
International, 22 November 1999. AI calls on OAS members
to put in practice their promises for an end to human
rights violations in the region.