The culture history of
Native North America as a
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the documents in
World History Archives and does not
presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to release
- Rainbow Walker, 6 January 1995. While it is necessary and
desirable to retain certain forms intact, in the way they
have been passed down to us, but it is neither necessary
or desirable to become so obsessed with these forms that
they overshadow the substance they are meant to embody.
- Medicine Wheel
- By Will Powel, 13 January 1995. The general idea of the
medicine wheel is simple, but the variations are kind of
endless. With each of the different cultures, you deal with
a number of different interpretations.
- Teaching Native American Religions
- By Ronald L. Grimes, [29 January 1995]. Anguishes over
whether European Americans teach cources on Native American
religions? The question of academic cultural imperialism.
Some have given up the teaching about Native American, Black
or Feminist religion. Rather than intellectual paralysis,
what form should such teaching take? We must accept the
moral burden of our choices.
New Agers and native wisdom
- A dialog on the NATCHAT list, February 1995. Native beliefs
are as opposite from the New age beliefs as any one can get.
There is no way that there can be any merging of the two
without one group giving up their basic fundamental beliefs
and adopting the other's beliefs. What the new agers
do to our beliefs is another form of genocide that my people
have had to endure.
- Whenever you dance, wherever you dance, dance to
heal the earth!
- From Dee Smith, soc.culture.native, 19 February 1995. Dancing
is power; dancing is prayer; some say that all is dance.
A big dance coming to heal the earth; take part whenever you
do whatever you do to help heal the earth.
- Powwow general rules for first timers
- Compiled by White Coyote, [20 April 1995]. 16 general rules
and addenda. Pow-wows are not traditional in any way. The
modern day pow-wow was formed in Oklahoma after the traders
decided that they could bring tourists into their areas by
having the people play Indian.
- The Eagle Feather
- 3 January 2000. The Eagle is a messenger to the Creator. To
wear or to hold the Eagle Feather causes our Creator to
take immediate notice. With the Eagle Feather the Creator
is honored in the highest.
- The Crucible of American Indian Identity: Native
Tradition versus Colonial Imposition in Postconquest North
- By Ward Churchill, 8 May 2002. A vexed and divisive issue
at the dawn of the twenty-first century is the question of
who it is who has a legitimate right to say he or she is
American Indian. The options of extermination or racial
absorption. By 1860 Euro-American academicians had forged
tools necessary to the rapid division of native society,
fragmentation and ultimate dissipation in toto. A national
consensus that this represented the solution to the