The retrospective history of South America as a whole
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the documents in
World History Archives and does not
presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to
release their copyright.
- The ‘Mercosur of Terror’ or
- By Mario Osava, IPS, 10 January 1999. The military regimes
which ruled the MERCOSUR region's nations in the 1970s
and 1980s were involved in a joint Operation Condor against
their respective opponents—real or
suspected—details of which are now being released
thanks to the detention in Britain of former Chilean
dictator Augusto Pinochet.
- CONDOR archives unearthed in Paraguay expose
U.S. allies' abuses
- By Diana Jean Schemo, New York Times, 11
August 1999. A mountain of records detailing repression
among United States-backed military regimes throughout South
America during the cold war.
- Brazil taught torture to Pinochet's
- By Jeremy Smith, Reuters, 14 May 2000. Brazil's former
military rulers taught interrogation and torture techniques
to Chile's feared secret police after a bloody 1973 coup
that brought Gen. Augusto Pinochet to power.