The contemporary political history of the Republic of Surinam
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the documents in
World History Archives and does not
presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to
release their copyright.
- Suriname Leader Faces Continuing Street
- A-Infos News Service, 28 May 28 1999. Thousands of
anti-government protesters marched through the Surinamese
capital Thursday as embattled President Jules Wijdenbosch
faced mounting calls for his resignation amid a deepening
- Opposition Leads in Suriname Vote
- By Bert Wilkinson, Associated Press, Friday 26 May
2000. Voters rejected the ambitious development plans of
President Jules Wijdenbosch and all but handed control of
the National Assembly to the labor-backed opposition.
- New Front Coalition Wins Elections
- By Bert Wilkinson, IPS, 26 May 2000. The people of
Suriname, never more worried about declining living
standards, have voted in a new administration giving it all
but one seat needed to run the country.