The economic history of the Republic of Venezuela
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the documents in
World History Archives and does not
presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to
release their copyright.
- European Parliament adopts resolution to curb
logging and mining in Amazonas
- World Rainforest Movement press release, 25 October
1996. In recent weeks the Venezuelan President, Rafael Caldera,
under heavy pressure from the mining lobby in Caracas and Puerto
Ayacucho, the capital of the State of Amazonas, has indicated
that he plans to revoke two decrees which presently ban logging
and mining in the State.
- Producers Seize Venezuelan Port
- Weekly News Update on the Americas, 24 August
1997. Accusation that government's siding with IMF
depresses employment and agricultural production.
- Government Slams Credit-Rating
- By Estrella Gutierrez, IPS, 23 September
1998. Venezuela's government has called for a Latin
American rebellion against credit-rating agencies, which are
thinking of downgrading the country's credit rating
despite an unexpected appreciation of the local currency,