The working-class history of the Oriental Republic of Uruguay
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the documents in
World History Archives and does not
presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to
release their copyright.
- General strike fights wage cuts,
- Workers World, 21 December 1995. Brief news
item on the general strike called by the PIT-CNT trade union
federation to protest privatization.
- Anti-Discrimination Law ‘Un-Shelved’
after 8 Years
- By Raul Ronzoni, InterPress Service. 21 February 1997.
Law against gender discrimination and sexual harassment
in the workforce.
- Uruguay's unions undergoing lean
- IPS, 17 December 1998. The country's sole labor
federation, the PIT-CNT, has lost nearly 80 percent of its
members in the last three years, and its power to negotiate
and exert pressure has fallen drastically. Unions affiliated
to it have suffered in much the same way. With the fall of
communism in 1989, the PIT-CNT started to decline in
addition to suffering from a lack of coherent
- David y Goliat: La lucha del Sindico del Gas
de Uruguay contra la propotencia colonialista de Gaz de
- From the Sindico del Gas de Uruguay, Montevideo, 5 de
Agosto de 1999. El sindicato de los trabajadores del gas
solicitan una accion solidaria a sus hermanos de todo el
mundo en defensa del derecho democratico de los trabajadores
a organizarse y ser escuchados. La Privatización.