Hartford Web Publishing (Haines Brown) is not the author of the documents in World History Archives and does not presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity.
History of South America
Economy and environment
- Urgent Action: Maxus to resign deal threatening Huaorani (Ecuador)
- From a report written by Accion Ecologica y Amazonas. 27 September, 1996. Aim is to discourage the Ecuadorian government from renewing its contract with the US Maxus oil company because of its devastation of the environment and harm to the indigenous Huarorani.
- More than Meets the Media Eyes
- By Michael Pearlman, NY Transfer News Collective, 18 February, 1997. Re general strike of 5 February in response to government measures, including neoliberalism.
- Communities occupy Bishimetals mining installations - demand an end to mining project
- By Ivonne Ramos, Presidenta, Accion Ecologica. 16 May, 1997. Accusation the mining failed to consult with local communities on environmental impact as required by law. Also background into by South and Meso American Indian Rights Center (SAIIC).
- Documents for Native Americans of Ecuador
- Ecuadorean strike enters second day, protest to continue
- ICFTU OnLine. 6 February, 1997. Second day of general strike against President Bucaram's structural adjustment policies.
- Protests force ouster of president in Ecuador
- By Hilda Cuzco, in the Militant, 24 February, 1997. Nationwide general strike over structural adjustment brings down President Abdala Bucaram.