The culture history of Chile
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the
documents in World History Archives and
does not presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to
release their copyright.
The history of Chile in general
General culture history of Chile
- National library faces bleak future: British
consultant deplores state of neglect, urges changes
- ChilNet extract from El Mercurio, 11 June
1997. "In this world dominated by the market economy
where everything has a price, national libraries are in
crisis or else they have already died."
- Remembering Victor Jara
- By Gustavo Gonzalez, IPS, 29 September 1998.
The popular singer, Victor Jara, was shot by the Pinochet
regime, in 1973. Official resistence to memorializing him
- Homage to Chilean Singer, Victor Jara
- From Larry Sheehy, 30 October 1998. Reflects upon an article in
Catholic Worker on Victor Jara, and includes two excerpts
from his writings.
Education and students
- Affection and Sexuality (JOCAS) sexual
- ChilNet press extracts, September 1996. Bishop of Talca
supports sex ed program, but criticism on the right
continues; Frei supports JOCAS sex-ed program and calls
policy of avoidance "Immoral."
- Communists Win University Vote
- Weekly News Update on the Americas, 27 October
1996. Communist leadership of the Chile Student Federation
(FECh) is reelected.
- Tension marks University of Chile anniversary:
Students Protest 1997 budget cuts
- ChilNet extract from El Mercurio, La Epoca, 21
November 1996. Imminent budget cuts and student protests
created a climate of tension at University of Chile
celebrations of the 154th anniversary of its founding.
- The education reform bill
- ChilNet extracts from the press, January 1997. Law may leave
students without schools says FIDE Director of Education
Bill; No student will be left out of school: Government
response to criticism of education reform; Educational
reform suffers setback: Senate rejects key measures of
- Students prefer traditional universities:
Poll indicates string preference for U Chile and La
- ChilNet extracts from El Mercurio, La Epoca, 17
January 1997. University of Chile and Catholic University
continue to lead the list of preferences for college-bound
- Minister questions quality of education:
Explains results of Aptitude test and argues the need for
- ChilNet extract from La Epoca, 20 January 1997.
Interview with Education Minister Juan Pablo Arellano
on, i.a., the results of the Academic Aptitude Test (PAA),
the national exam all students must take in order to
- Educational reform lacks financing
- ChilNet extract from El Mercurio, La Epoca, 15
May 1997. The administration's education reform package
remains in limbo. The Senate Education Committee dispatched
the bill without approving financing due to rightist
opposition to maintaining the national value-added tax
(IVA) at 18 percent.
- Children evaluate their schooling
- ChilNet extract from La Epoca, 6 November 1997.
UNICEF survey re the extension of school timetables in
the educational reform package announced last May by
President Eduardo Frei.