Retrospective history of the U.S. working class from
World War II through the Kirkland era
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the
documents in World History Archives and
does not presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to
release their copyright.
History of the U.S. working class
- Wartime AFL-CIO Corporatism
- Chris Lowe, on the AfrLabor list. 16 September, 1995.
AFL-CIO and World War II era labor-management cooperation.
- The Story of The Searchlight, the
voice of the Chevrolet worker
- By Ronda Hauben. 1996. The rank-and-file newspaper of UAW
Local 659, Flint MI, from 1942 into the '50s.
- Ben Rathbun, The Point Man: Irving Brown
and the deadly post-1945 struggle for Europe and Africa
- Review by Lenni Brenner, 17 June 1999. A right wing defense,
associated with Albert Shanker, of Lane Kirkland and Irving
Brown, who played a central role in the AFL's CIA-funded
post-WWII fight against French trade unions.
- A new biography of Walter Reuther of the UAW by
- Press Release. 26 September, 1995. Walter Reuther was
president of the UAW 1946-1970.
- Review of Stanley Aronowitz & William DiFazio,
The Futureless Job
- By D. Shniad, June, 1995.
- Legacy of Reaction: Kirkland & and Cold
- By Milt Neidenberg, Workers World, 26 August 1999.
- Will the AFL-CIO's New Leaders Change its Old
Cold War Policies?
- By David Bacon, 29 October 1995. The AFL-CIO convention in
1995 that deposed Lane Kirckland.
- Labor Day 1995: Turning potential into workers'
- By Shannon Spence, in Workers World, 6 September,
1995. Argues that 1995 marks the opening of a new era
- The Edifice Complex: Rebuilding the American
Labor Movement to Face the Global Economy
- Publication announcement by the Labor Research Association.
19 October, 1995.
- The Political Consequences of Declining
- By Oren M. Levin-Waldman, in Cleveland Plain Dealer,
1 September, 1997. Exclusive focus on economic issues here
criticized because labor needs to develop political power
to shape the future in accord with its interest.
- Lane Kirkland, Former A.F.L-C.I.O. Head, Dies
- By William Serrin, New York Times, 15 August
- Lane Kirkland Eulogy
- By Ellen Starbird, 15 August 1999. Lane Kirkland as a