The retrospective history of the Republic of Panama
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the documents in
World History Archives and does not
presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to
release their copyright.
- How Wall Street Created a Nation
- By Russell Mokhiber and Robert Weissman, 28 October
2001. Corporate hijacking of U.S. foreign policy. In 1900,
a group of investors created a secret syndicate of Wall
Street financiers and politicians to buy the shares of the
bankrupt French Panama Canal Company, which owned the
right to build the Panama Canal.
- When the country sold part of
- By Hernando Calvo Ospina, Le Monde
diplomatique, December 2003.
The US has the
right and the duty to affirm and maintain its right of
intervention on any kind of transoceanic canal across the
isthmus. In January 1903 a treaty was signed
authorising the French to hand over their rights to the US
and giving the US near-sovereign control of the canal and
areas either side of it for 100 years.
- Historical backdrop to Panama's change
- By Eric Jackson, The Panama News, 8 September 1999. The
origins of Panama's main political parties, from 1931
to the end of the PRD in 1989.
- The beginning of the end of the Panama
- By Eric Jackson, The Panama News, 28 December 1999. From
the Martyrs of 1964 to the Flag Riots.