The economic history of West Asia as a whole
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the documents in
World History Archives and does not
presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to release
- The challenge of globalisation in the Arab countries.
What should the trade unions be doing?
- By Mohsen Ben Chibani, economist, ICFTU OnLine, 13 August 1997.
Meeting in Cairo for a seminar organised by the ICFTU in the
framework of its plans to strengthen Arab trade unions, several
Palestinian, Jordanian and Egyptian trade unions discussed the
effects of globalisation in the Arab countries and on labor.
- Iraq says Turkey threatens flow of shared waters
- By Hassan Hafidh, Reuters, 1 October 1997. Iraq accused Turkey of
threatening the flow of the Euphrates and Tigris Rivers to Syria
and Iraq by building dams and urged Ankara to reach a
water-sharing accord. The current flow of water from Turkey is
insufficient for drinking, irrigation and electricity generation.
Iraq as a refuge for Kurdish opposition in Turkey.
Marks & Spencer Calls the Shots: Israeli
Textile Firms Flourish in Jordan and Egypt
- By Wehbe Badarneh, Challenge [March
2000]. Thousands of Arab women in Galilee are now unemployed in the
Israeli textile industry. The combination of economic growth and
tied to globalization. A huge European retailer works with local
moguls to redraft the map of the region and perpetuate the poverty
- Tribesmen seek end to trade restrictions
- DAWN, 10 June 2002. Tribesmen who depend
on Pakistan-Afghanistan trade seek lifing of trade restrictions. A
meeting under the aegis of Tribal Democratic Party (Qabail Jamhoori
Party), which will raise the basic rights of tribal people, including
education, employment, health and living conditions. Trade by tribal
people between Pakistan and Afghanistan is a centuries-old practice
upon which most of the tribal people depend.
- Cheney's Halliburton provided services to Turkmenistan
- From firstname.lastname@example.org, 22 June 2002. The position of Afghanistan
as transit route for the great oil resources around the Caspian Sea
and Caucasus to Arabian Sea. A Bridas Group joint venture with
Turkmenistan; Unocal Corp picks up on the Bridas plan. European vs.
Asian markets, and pipeline routes.