The history of Indian media and telecommunications
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the
documents in World History Archives and
does not presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to
release their copyright.
The history of India in general
The history of radio and television in India
- Indian Supreme Court Ends State Control of the
- By Rishab Aiyer Ghosh, in Electric Dreams, 2 February
1995. Privatization of broadcasting and satellite uplinks vs.
public ownership; the regulatory agency is no longer subject
to public scrutiny via the government.
This history of Internet in India
- How many people are currently on-line in
- By Rishab Aiyer Ghosh, 3 May 1995. An answer, provides
- Control on flow of free information
- Citizens for Free Information press release, 4 March 1997.
Internet access since August 1995, has been provided by the
government agency, VSNL (Videsh Sanchar Nigam Limited), which
has been criticized for poor service and high tarrifs. When VSNL
announced a hike in tarrifs, users "bombed" the server
and VSNL retaliated.