Contemporary political history of Japan from 1994 to April 2001

Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the documents in World History Archives and does not presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to release their copyright.

Japanese Communists Score Big Electoral Gains
By Jim Genova, People's Weekly World, 20 May 1995. The Japanese Communist Party (JCP) now holds more elected local government seats than any other political party in Japan following the April 23 local elections.
The Emperor's Last Stand—Fascism in Japan
By Andreas Hippin, translated from Junge Welt, 6/7 April 1996. Far-right groups in Japan total more than 100,000 members. At first glance seemingly on the fringes of society, they guarantee the continued existence of social conditions, because in Japan organized crime and fascists work hand in hand. While the former control the gaming halls, the latter go on propaganda tours.
Anti-Imperial Activists Win Lawsuit Against Police
The Japan Times, Thursday 17 October 1996. In a civil suit filed by activists opposed to the emperor system, the Tokyo District Court on Wednesday ordered the Tokyo Metropolitan Government to pay them damages for unlawful arrests and battery by Tokyo police.
Revival of Nazism is intolerable
Korean News, 11 March 1997. The daily Rodong Sinmun in a signed article today notes: Though some fifty years has passed since the ruin of Nazism, it comes to life again as an inevitable product of the reactionary and unpopular capitalism. Ghosts of Nazism and militarism swagger about in Japan particularly.
Japan's human rights record must be challenged
Press release by the International Secretariat of Amnesty International, 26 October 1998. Government's failure to protect the rights of detainees, prisoners, and asylum seekers. Since 1993, little effort to correct shortcomings regarding the application of the death penalty and the treatment of detainees.
With Economy Down, Soul-searching on the Rise
By Suvendrini Kakuchi, IPS, 4 February 1999. The Japanese say economic reforms are no longer enough for them to make things right again. The emerging consensus is that Japan needs to learn to look less toward the West and instead rediscover its rich history and unique culture.
Local rumblings
Mainichi Shimbun, Saturday 24 February 2001. Local governments raise only 30 percent of their revenues and depend on the central government for the remaining 70 percent. The phrase 30 percent local autonomy. Calls for political decentralization.