The working-class history of the Russian Far Eastern Territories
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the documents in
World History Archives and does not
presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to
release their copyright.
- The Upheaval in Russian Maritime Territory (Russian
- Three items: Maritime Territory Governor Meets Protesting
Miners, by Yevgenia Lents, Itar-Tass, 16 May 1997; Maritime
Territory's Situation ‘Extremely Serious,’ Moscow
Mayak Radio Network, 1400 GMT 16 May 1997; and Chernomyrdin
Demands Urgent Action on Far East Crisis, by Gennadiy Yezhov,
Itar-Tass, 19 May 1997.
- The Upheaval in Kuzbass
- Three items: Kuzbass Medical Workers Affected by Nonpayments,
by Dmitriy Sizov, NTV Television ‘Segodnya’ program,
20 May 1997; Social Tension Rising in Kuzbass after Railway Merger,
by Yuriy Kotlyarov, Moscow Trud, 20 May 1997; and
Miners' Protests in Sakhalin, Kuzbass, Rostov Noted;
‘Miners Lie Down. Some on Rails, Others in Mines,’ by
Aleksandr Isayev and Fedor Yemchenko, Moscow Trud,
21 May 1997.
- Second Day of Protest Begins in Russian Far
- Agence France Presse, 8 October 1998. Communist
predictions that nationwide protests would continue were
being borne out at least in part on Thursday morning, as
mass demonstrations over wage arrears resumed in
Russia's Far East.
- Gloomy future for Russia's
- By Sarah Rainsford, BBC News, 29 October 2003. Methane gas
exploded in a mine in Partizansk, in the Russian Far East,
killing five men. The statistics of mining deaths are giving
serious cause for concern.