The social history of the Swiss Confederation
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the documents in
World History Archives and does not
presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to
release their copyright.
- Swiss women weather slowdown better than
- Neue Zürcher Zeitung, 8 March 2003. Women
workers in Switzerland have been less affected by the
economic downturn than their male counterparts. Latest
figures show that the number of unemployed men is on the
rise, whereas more and more women are taking up paid
- Geneva struggles to stem soaring
- swissinfo SRI, 7 March 2004. The line outside
Geneva's unemployment office is longer than anywhere
else in the country—and has been for the past two
decades. With a jobless rate of seven per cent—almost
three per cent higher than the national
average—pressure is mounting for cantonal officials to
make more effort to tackle the problem.
- Swiss women fired up on Women's Day
- Neue Zürcher Zeitung Online, 9 March
2004. This year's International Women's Day was
marked with more fervour than usual, after last year's
cabinet elections left only one woman in government.