The social history of the Hellenic Republic (Greece)
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the documents in
World History Archives and does not
presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to
release their copyright.
- Denial of human rights for Macedonians in
- Human Rights Movement for Macedonians in Greece, the
O.S.C.E. Review Confrence, Vienna, 4–29
1996. Presented By the Lerin Region Macedonian Cultural
Association of Ontario Toronto, Canada, October, 1996. In
the case of the Macedonian minority in Greece, the official
state policy is to deny its existence.
- Immigrants for hire, or expulsion
- By Panayote Elias Dimitras, War Report, October 1996.
Greece needs immigrant labour, but refuses to adopt a consistent
- On the occasion of the International Refugee
- Greek Helsinki Monitor, Press Release, 16 June
1997. 300 refugees persons refugees arrive in Greece every
month, but the government fails to protect their rights. The
kinds of refugees and the support they can receive.
- The ‘Egg of the snake’ of racism
in Greece is hatched by the Simitis government too
- Greek Helsinki Monitor Press Release, 4 July 1997. This
racism, xenophobia, intolerance and lack of understanding
towards the other is hatched by the Simitis government itself
- Amnesty International will adopt members of
‘Rainbow’ party as prisoners of conscience in case of
- Amnesty International, 10 October 1997. Rainbow party
represents the Macedonian ethnic minority in Greece. Party
members prosecuted because of ethnic tensions.
- Persecuted ethnonational minorities in the
‘cradle of democracy’
- By Panayote Dimitrasor, Alternative Information
Media, 12 November 1997.
- Appeal to the Greek government for the
abolition of Article 19 of the Citizenship Code and other
- Press Release, 10 December 1997. The human rights
organizations signing this text, on the occasion of
today's International Day of Human Rights, appeal to the
Greek government to abolish Article 19, grant UN Convention
rights to Grant to the stateless who lost their Greek
citizenship, and abolish Tracian administrative circulars an
provisions. Appended news article on this campaign.
- The management of unemployment in
- Alpha, No.2, February 1998. The greek
unemployed are over 10.5 % of the population. The Minister
of Labor's relief plan.
- Mobilizations of Greek farmers
- Alpha, No.2, February 1998. This is not the
first time farmers and peasants in Greece, and especially
central Greece, have demonstrated against the
government's agricultural policy and the European
- The return of ‘Avrianism’ in the
form of extreme racism
- Greek Helsinki Monitor, Press Release, 16 March 1998. The
cooperating organizations Greek Helsinki Monitor and
Minority Rights Group—Greece denounce the increasing
wave of Albanophobia that has been reigning, in recent days,
in the Greek mass media.