The contemporary political history of the Republic of Belarus
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the documents in
World History Archives and does not
presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to
release their copyright.
- Peaceful demonstrators reportedly beaten, 100
- Amnesty International, 14 March 1997. Repression of the
Belarrusian Popular Front protestors of President
Lukashenko's goal of joining the Russian Federation.
- Belarus: Findings of Human Rights Committee
confirm worsening human rights situation
- International Secretariat of Amnesty International news
release, 10 November 1997. Findings of UN Human Rights
Committee regarding significant deterioration of human
rights since 1992 in connection with political dissent and
rise of executions.
- Belarus bulletin
- Amnesty International Urgent Action Bulletin, 16 January
1998. Extensive reliance on judicial death penalty, which is
considered a violation of human rights.
- Belarus bulletin
- Amnesty International: Index: EUR 49/04/98, 9 April
1998. Prisoners of conscience, arrested at a large
anti-government demonstration in Minsk on 2 April
1998. Political unrest, in the form of protests and
demonstrations, is on the increase in Belarus.
- Alexander Lukashenko: a profile
- By Stephen Mulvey, BBC News Online, Friday 19
June 1998. President Lukashenko knows precisely what the
West thinks of him, and frequently makes clear what he
thinks of the West. If he did not know, the country's
secret police would tell him.
- Trade unionists arrested in Belarus
- ICTU OnLine, 242/981106/LD, 6 November
1998. Seven people were arrested as they were about to hand
over a letter to the authorities setting out their pay
claims and their demands for better working conditions.
- Belorussian Agro-Industrial Trade Union
Criticizes Lukashenko's Economical Policy and Repels
Governmental Efforts to Establish Control over Trade
- Labour Russia on the Net, 12 July 2000. The
Belorussian authorities are showing their discontent with
the Republican Trade Union Committee which dares criticize
agrarian and economic official policies in the rural areas
where the situation continues to deteriorate and wages