History of the Polar Regions
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the documents in World History Archives and does not presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity or to release their copyright.
- UNU Symposium Marking the 50th Anniversary: On Importance Of Preserving
- A UNU Symposium Marking the 50th Anniversary of the United Nations and the
20th Anniversary of the United Nations University Tuesday, 24 October 1995.
- Interior denies bid to block Arctic oil drilling
- By Vicki Allen, Reuter, 3 November 1997. U.S. Interior Department rejects petition from
environmental groups to halt oil and natural gas drilling in the Beaufort Sea off the coast of
Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge by Atlantic Richfield Co.
- Arctic Climate Changing Rapidly
- From Environment News Service (ENS), 14 November 1997.
- U.S. Ratifies Historic Antarctic Protection Agreement
- Press release by Antarctica Project and Greenpeace. 18 April, 1997.
- Fish piracy threat to marine treaty
- From delegates to the 21st Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meeting, Christchurch (NZ). 20 May, 1997.
- Sick fish are sign of severe Antarctic pollution, scientist says
- Agence France-Presse. 8 July, 1997.
- Historic Antarctic Protection Agreement Becomes Law
- From Greenbase, 16 December 1997. Environmental Protection Protocol to the Antarctic Treaty
bans mining in Antarctica for a minimum of 50 years and designates the whole continent and its
dependent marine ecosystems a natural reserve devoted to peace and science.