Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 20:44:51 -0800
Sender: H-Net list for Asian History and Culture <H-ASIA@msu.edu>
Subject: H-ASIA: teaching the Vietnam War: Australian perspective
H-ASIA December 4, 1995
Re: teaching the Vietnam War: the Australian perspective
(x-post from H-TEACH)
Australian perspectives on the Vietnam war
A dialog from H-Asia list
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 20:44:51 -0800
Here are a few references to the Vietnam War. They include commentary on the
war and part of the debate in Australia about our involvement (we were
'kindly' volunteered by our then Prime Minister who proceeded to institute a
system of national service to provide part of the labour needed to support
the war effort). The list is not comprehensive and I'm sure others will have
articles or books to add.
- Cooksey, Robert. 'Australian Public Opinion and Vietnam Policy',
- Dissent, 22 (Autumn 1968): 5-11.
- Duncanson, Dennis. 'If Hanoi wins - a Commonwealth of Red Dominoes?'
- Quadrant, 14 (June 1970): 9-14.
- Forward, Roy and Bob Reece. Conscription in Australia.
- (St Lucia,
Queensland: University of Queensland Press, 1968.)
- Grenville, Kenneth. The Saving of South Vietnam
- (Sydney: Alpha, 1972.)
- Fairbairn, Geoffrey. 'Looking back in Honour',
- Quadrant, 17 (Feb 1973):
- The issue of the journal
- Overland, 54 (Spring 1973).
- Ray, Sibnarayan (ed.). Vietnam seen from East and West: An International
- (Melbourne: Thomas Nelson, 1966.)
- Brodie, Scott, Tilting at Dominoes: Australia and the Vietnam War
- (Brookvale: Child and Associates, 1987.)
- Browne, Margaret, Australia at War: Vietnam
- (Lane Cove, Sydney:
Hodder and Stoughton, 1984.)
- Burgmann, Verity and Jenny Lee, Staining the Wattle.
- (Ringwood: Penguin,
- Curthoys, Ann and John Merritt (eds). Australia's First Cold War
vols). (Sydney: Allen and Unwin, 1986).
- Elegant, Robert S. 'How to lose a war: Reflections on Vietnam',
- Quadrant, 25 (Dec. 1981): 4-18.
- Enrenhaus, Peter. 'Commemorating the Unwon WAr: On not REmembering Vietnam',
- Journal of Communication, 39 (Winter 1989): 96-107.
- Frost, Frank. Australia's War in Vietnam.
- (Sydney: Allen and Unwin, 1987.)
- Gee, Kenneth. 'It was right to be there: Australians in Vietnam',
- Quadrant, 31 (October 1987): 8-12.
- Grey, Jeffrey. 'Australia and the Vietnam War',
- Overland, 113 (1988):
- Grey, Jeffrey and Jeff Doyle (eds.). Vietnam: War, Myth and Memory.
- (Sydney: Allen and Unwin, 1992)
- Harries, Owen. 'Decency , peace and historical inevitability: The Vietnam
- Quadrant, 19 (June 1975): 8-11.
- Hirst, J.B. 'Australian Defence and Conscription: A Re-assessment'.
- Part 1 Australian Historical Studies, 25 (October 1993): 608-27;
- Part 2 in 26 (April 1993): 39-56.
- King, Peter (ed.). Australia's Vietnam
- (Sydney: Allen and Unwin, 1983.)
- Maddock, Kenneth and Barry Wright (eds).
- War: Australia and Vietnam
(Sydney: Harper and Row, 1987.)
- Pierce, Peter. 'The Australian Literature of the Viet Nam WAr',
- Meanjin 39
- Pierce, Peter, Jeffrey Grey and Jeff Doyle (eds.).
- Vietnam Days: Australia
and the Impact of Vietnam (Ringwood: Penguin, 1991.)
- Saunders, Malcolm. 'The ALP's response to the anti-Vietnam WAr movement,
- Labour History, 44 (May 1983): 75-91.
- Warner, Denis. 'How Vietnam correspondents turned victory into defeat',
- Quadrant, 22 (March 1978): 72-74.
- Watts, Rob. 'Bringing them home: Vietnam and the sixties revisited',
of Australian Studies, (September 1992): 82-86.
December 6, 1995
A further suggestion on Australian perspectives on the Vietnam war
From: "Paul H. Kratoska" <email@example.com>
One addition to the list of material on Australia and Vietnam is Peter
Edwards, Crises and Commitments: The Politics and Diplomacy of
Australia's Involvement in Southeast Asian Conflicts 1948-1965, published
by Allen & Unwin in association with the Australian War Memorial.
Paul H Kratoska
National University of Singapore