The history of women and gender
in the Commonwealth of Australia
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the documents in
World History Archives and does not
presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to release
- Private Australian Women's Prison
- From A-Infos, 6 March 1996. First privatized women's prison
outside the U.S. is funded in part by Kentucky Fried Chicken.
. . .and ain't I a woman? Choice or poverty
- By Lisa Macdonald, in Green Left Weekly,
28 September 1997. Rising family poverty in Australia linked to poor
employment opportunities for women.
- Women reclaim the night
- Green Left Weekly, 5 November 1997. Annual
Reclaim the Night events Australia-wide to protest violence against
women. Violence is broader than physical attacks; call for a strong
women's movement. The Association of Non-English Speaking Background
Women of Australia's Marionelle Hill: non-English speaking women have
more difficulty escaping violent domestic situations.
- Australia gets tough on sex slave traders: Many young
Asian prostitutes are held against their will
- BBC News, 5 January 1999. Tough penalties to confront growing trade
in sex slaves. Increasing evidence of young Asian women being brought
to Australia and forced into sex slavery in Sydney's red light
King's Cross district and other state capitals.
- Government condemned for pregnant pause
- ACTU Media Release, 14 May 2000. ACTU President Sharan Burrow
calls on the Howard Government to make good its promise to strengthen
laws prohibiting workplace discrimination against expectant mothers.