History of the environment and the internal factors of African economic history
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the
documents in World History Archives and
does not presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to
release their copyright.
History of Africa as a whole
History of the African economy index
Neocolonialism and the external factors of
African economic history
History of the African structural adjustment
Development in general
- Africa's economic woes reflect global crisis
- From People's Democracy. 1995. Newspaper of the Communist
Party of India. Africa's relative and absolute lack of economic development.
- Changing African Cities
- A brief introduction to the work of the Coalition for the Development
of Urban Africa, 25 March 1997. Africa has rapidly become an urbanized
continent, and urban life brings the region's enormous vitality and
imagination together with a wide array of challenges about how to make
cities work and sustainable.
- COMESA states urged to maintain peace
- By Mildred Mulenga, PANA, 30 June 1998. Leaders the Common Market for Eastern
and Southern Africa at Kinsha summit reiterate the need to maintain peace and
security in the region as COMESA moves towards the establishment of a free
trade area by the year 2000.
- Court Set up to Boost Economic Cooperation in Africa
- From Xinhua, 3 February 1999. Re. the Common Market for Eastern and Southern
Africa (COMESA) special court to enhance economic development through market
- OAU Says Integration Is Only Road To Competitiveness
- From PANA, 3 March 1999. Dakar forum concludes Africa must overcome its balkanization
if it is to benefit through international trade.
- Africa Registers The Fastest growing Economy. . .But
- By Lewis Machipisa, IPS, 5 May 1999. Africa remains deeply entrenched in poverty,
although it registered the fastest growing economy than any other region last
year, according to a new report by the UN Economic Commission for Africa (ECA).
Internal capacities for development
- A Letter to the African Patriot
- By Femi Akomolafe. 1994. Re pan-African solidarity.
- A dialog on race
- A dialog from the African Global Experience forum. 4 January,
1995. To what extent is race a factor in Africa's lack of
- The Danger of Failure to Unite as Africans
- By Emmanuel K. Twesigye, OWU. 26 February, 1995.
- Food supply situation and crop prospects in Sub-Saharan
- Global Information and Early Warning System on Food and Agriculture.
Press release by Food and Agriculture Organization, May 1996. FAO says
sharply higher cereal prices make sub-Saharan Africa's food security outlook
- Best and Brightest Head West
- By Thalif Deen, IPS, 10 February 1999. Africa's "Brain Drain."
- African Scientists Endorse Genetically Modified Food
- By Judith Achieng', IPS, 20 July 1999. A growing number of African scientists
are slowly accepting the idea of genetically modified food as a solution to
the continent's perennial food crisis.
- IMF blames African nations for improper use of loans
- By Samuel Nduati, The Nation (Nairobi) 21 August 1999. [IMF
attributes Africa's misery to its own shortcomings, not neocolonialism.]
- AIDS Plants Crop of Death in Africa
- By Jon Jeter, in the Washington Post, 12 December 1999.
Loss of manpower resources because of AIDS.
Environmental history of Africa as a whole
African Environmental Research & Consulting Group
- 1994 Annual Report. A group of Africans in the US concerned about
African socio-environmental decay.
- Rumbles in the Jungle. Overview & Commentary
- By Tim Judah, in Mail and Guardian (Johannesburg), 30 July 1999.
Conservationists fight to stop logging and hunting in the last rainforest
in Central Africa despite grassroots needs.