The contemporary political history
of the Maya
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the documents in
World History Archives and does not
presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to release
- Guatemala: Maya Movement at the Political
- By Estuardo Zapeta, in Abya Yala News,
- Voices of the Pueblo Maya: A new age in
- Peace Brigades International: Guatemala
Team Report, October 1995. Political emergence of
the Pueblo Maya.
- Economic Justice in Guatemala
- From The Institute for Economic Justice and Indigenous
Technology (IEJIT), 3 November 1995. The IEJIT is based in
Eugene Oregon and supports community based economic development
projects in partnership with indigenous people, widows, children
and poor campesinos. Current focus is the effort of ASOCIACION
MAYA (AM), a development organization in Guatemala led by
5 Cakchikel-speaking women.
- Urgent Action
- Requested by the Guatemalan Maya League, 26 November 1999.
On 12 November, the Electoral Commission of the Department
of Quetzaltenango, Guatemala, annulled the November 7th
mayoral election results of that city which our Maya brother,
Rigoberto Queme Chay of the Xel-ju Civic Committee won. It
was alleged that the Committee bought votes and badly
managed the counting.
- Agresion a los Mayas Chortis de Honduras
- Commicado de prensa, jueves 7 de septiembre del 2,000.
El pueblo Maya Chorti de Honduras esta haciendo pública la
brutal agresión de la que hemos sido víctimas a la altura de
las 6 de la tarde, por parte de la Policía Nacional, con la
participación directa de los habitates del municipio de Copán
Ruinas (in Spanish).
- Guatemala Mayans still 'wronged'
- BBC News, 12 September 2002. The United Nations representative
for Indian peoples has accused Guatemalan authorities of
continuing to marginalise the country's sizeable Mayan
political and structural discrimination