The contemporary political history
of the Dominican Republic
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the
documents in World History Archives and
does not presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to
release their copyright.
History in general of the Dominican Republic
- Dominican Republic - USAID, IMF
- By J. Clancy. 11 January 1996. Part I of an analysis of the
impact of US domination, the International Monetary Fund
and structural adjustment on the Dominican Republic.
- Electoral strategy
- By Stephen Marks, Green Left Weekly, 22 April 1996.
The Dominican Revolutionary Forces (FR) and the Camaa$ista
Revolutionary Union are calling for a boycott of the national
elections in May 1996.
- Revolution to the rhythm of merengue
- By Stephen Marks, Green Left Weekly, 24 April 1996.
Re. fusion of four left poltiical parties.
- Masses on the move in Dominican Republic
- By Monica Somocurcio, in Workers World, 13 February 1997.
- Negotiated Elections.
- By Roberto Cassa, NACLA Report on the Americas,
- Local Democracy
- By Lilian Bobea, in NACLA Report on the Americas,
- Two Caudillos
- By James Ferguson, in NACLA Report on the Americas,
March/April 1997. Reconciliation of Balaguer and Bosch,
formation of the National Patriotic Font and the victory
of Leonel Fernandez, mark a new era.
- Strikes Continue in Dominican Repubic
- From Weekly News Update on the Americas, #393,
10 August 1997. Re. wave of general strikes and protests
against Leonel Fernandez and his Dominican Liberation Party's
- Protests Rock Dominican Republic
- By Ron Richards, in the Militant, 25 August 1997.
Waves of protests and strikes in response to Fernandez
government's austerity measures. Unions coopted by government.
- Around Latin America: Dominican Republic
- By Daniel Vila, People's Weekly World, 1 November 1997.
Re. the general srike of October 21 and 22, 1997.
- Workers Around the World: Dominican Republic
- From the Workers World, 27 November 1997. Re. Aftermath
of the two day general strike.