Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 17:01:53 +0200>br />
Sender: Former Soviet Republic - Central Asia Political Discussion List
From: IdinovN <idinovn@RFERL.ORG>
Foreign Minister Mrs. Roza Otunbayeva press conference
From Naryn Aiyp, 14 February 1996
On 14 February 1996 Kyrgyz Foreign Minister Mrs. Roza Otunbayeva held a
press-conference at the RFE/RL. President of RFE/RL Mr. K.Klose and
Director of Broadcasting Mr. R.Gillette were attend.
Some her answers in brief:
- Q (Kyrgyz Svc): What about the results of your trip to East Europe?
- A: We have had good connections for a long time. Kyrgyz ambassador to
Austria Mr. Sultanov would be duty for Czech Republic soon, and our
ambassador to Belarus Mr. Ashirov would be soon responsible for
- Q (Kyrgyz Svc): President Akayev announced that after referendum Kyrgyz
government should resign and he would appoint 'a new team'. Will be
there great changes?
- A: It is hard to answer in behalf of president, but after gaining more
power, president can concentrate his attention on economic issues.
He will address to parliament on February 26 or 27.
- Q (Turkmen Svc): What do you think about statute of neutrality of
- A: We respect any good will of our neighbours.
- Q (Tajik Svc): What do you think about replacing Mr. Kozyrev with Mr.
Primakov and why did you call Mr. Kozyrev not to be an observer in
- A: Mr.Primakov was a member of parliment of the USSR from Kyrgyzstan,
that is why he knows Kyrgyzstan enough well. I think there would be
no serious changes in Russin foreign policy. I called Mr.Kozyrev for
active actions in Central Asia, because there were (and is) a big
game in Central Asia, and the war should be stopped by them, who
- A.(Russian Svc): You said that there would be no serious changes in
Russin policy, but the position of Mr. Primakov concernig to NATO
expansion is very hard. Could you explain it?
- Q :Mr. Primakov has said recently that NATO expansion is inavitable.
There is also a big game with NATO and the players are big too. We
understand that we are in alliance with Russia now.
- Q (Armenian Svc): Would you mind to restoring the USSR?
- A: We will never give up our independency.
- O.(Tajik Svc): What do you think about the situation in Tajikistan?
- A: We prolonged the mandat of our peacekeepers (about 500 people) in
Tajikistan until June 1996 but demand from Tajik authorities to
be more complient. There is no sign of it yet.
- Q (Kazakh Svc): Wouldn't the last referendum in Kyrgyzstan with the
result of 94 % to hurt democratic reputation of Kyrgyzstan?
- A: We needed this referendum: there were too mucn political struggle
in the republic and now we can concentrated on economic.
- Q (Uzbek Svc): What do you think about the idea of president Karimov
about Great Turkestan?
- A: I asked him this question myself and Mr.Karimov answered that this
kind of cooperation would be only in cultural field.