The social history of the Republic of Poland
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the documents in
World History Archives and does not
presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to
release their copyright.
- Roma community centre vandalised by
- Romanews (RNN), 7 July 1998. The perpetrators have not yet
been identified; they daubed swastikas on the walls along
with slogans like “Send Gypsies to the gas
chambers” and “Lynch all gypsies”. The
attack on the community centre is so far the crecendo in the
spiral of violence against Roma in Poland.
- Polish Farmers Declare War On European
- Northstar Compass, August 2000. Thousands of
Polish smallholders claim that they are being pushed to the
wall in the Warsaw government's rush to negotiate with
Brussels on entry to the European Union. The farmers are
furious since it will wipe out their livelihoods.
- Polish unemployment returns to record
- Agence France Presse, 22 January 2003. Unemployment in
Poland, the European Union's biggest to-be-member,
returned to record levels in December after the
country's new superminister for jobs and the economy
warned things would get worse.