The environmental history of Ukrayina
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the documents in
World History Archives and does not
presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to
release their copyright.
- ‘Scam of the century’ adds to
- By Renfrey Clarke, Green Left Weekly, 11
March 1998. the government of Ukraine has received many
hundreds of millions of dollars in foreign aid for clean-up
work and measures to improve nuclear safety. Ukrainian
environmentalists believe that vast sums have been embezzled
by crooked nuclear industry officials.
- 12th year of Chernobyl—the tragedy
- Greenpeace, 24 April 1998. The consequences of the
Chernobyl disaster are growing worse from one day to
another. About 50.000 square kilometers are contaminated by
radiation, more than 8% (four million people) of Ukrainian
population are affected.
- Unions' Chernobyl Warning
- ICEM Update, 2 June 2000. The international
community “is still very far from fulfilling its
financial obligations” to cover “technical and
safety issues” related to the decommissioning of
Chernobyl nuclear power station.