The social history of the Republic of Mauritius
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the documents in
World History Archives and does not
presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to
release their copyright.
- Report Says Child Prostitution Rampant in
- By Nasseem Ackbarally, Panafrican News Agency, 9 October
2000. Girls between 11 and 13 years are being forced into
prostitution in several regions, including the island of
Rodrigues. The prostitution network functions as
institutions to take care of the young girls who come from
poor families or from separated parents.
- Unemployment Rate Reaches 8 Percent In
- Panafrican News Agency (Dakar), 20 February 2001.
- Police Custody Death of African Reggae Singer
- A-Infos News Service, 6 March 2001. The riots, which
caused four deaths, the firebombing of police stations, the
closing of schools and stores, road-blocking and
car-burning, began after the death of local reggae singer,
Kaya. The singer died while in police custody after being
arrested for smoking marijuana during a protest for drug