The social history of Chile
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the
documents in World History Archives and
does not presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to
release their copyright.
The history of Chile in general
Documents for the history of the Mapuche people
Chile's social history in general
- Chile's Rich
- By S. Rosenfeld and J. L. Marre, NACLA Report on the
Americas, May/June 1997. Free market economic restructuring
and transnationalization of the past 20 years has transferred
wealth and power to a small number of conglomerates, led to a
decline in the percentage of national income going to wages,
impoverishment of part of the middle class, deterioration of
job quality, and a new rich upper middle class.
- Unemployment Looms for Juvenile Dropouts
- By Gustavo Gonzalez, IPS, 8 October 1997. The job market for
unskilled labor has disappeared, so that lack of skills
amount youth, women, and poor result in massive unemployment.
- Pinochet says in Chile there is "Clean
- Translated from Los Tiempos (Cochabamba, Bolivia), 4
- 25 years after coup, is Chile a model for
- Special Citation Will Be Presented Thursday in Washington.
From Institute for Public Accuracy, 8 September 1998. U.S.
Cato Institute claims Chile offers a model for social security
programs, but the facts suggest quite otherwise.
Gender and women's history of Chile
- Courts Biased Against Women, NGOs Say
- By Lilian Flores, IPS, 23 July 1998. The report of the first
Tribunal on the Rights of Women highlights the discrimination
women face at the hands of Chile's justice system.
- 'Equal' in Constitution - But no Gender
- By Gustavo Gonzalez, IPS, 17 May 1999. In practice,
gender equality remains a distant goal, due to continued
discrimination in areas like health, work and the
- New student loans announced
- ChilNet extract from El Mercurio, La Epoca, 26
February 1997. New student loan program.
- Maintaining VAT for education a good decison.
Interview with Education Minister Jose Pablo Arellano
- ChilNet extract from El Mercurio, 4 March 1997.
The government and the opposition still have not reached
a consensus on how to finance the reform, so implementation
so far only partial.
- Newspaper accounts of the university
- From ChilNet, June 1997. A set of newspaper accounts of
the university student uprisings.