The history of Vieques, Boriken (Puerto Rico)
Hartford Web Publishing is not the author of the
documents in World History Archives and
does not presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity nor to
release their copyright.
The contemporary political history in general
of Boriken (Puerto Rico)
- Puerto Ricans Protest U.S. Radar
- By Ron Richards in the Militant, 17 February
1997. Continuation of a long history of protests.
- U.S. Naval contamination on Vieques, Puerto
- Pacific Studies Center, 9 June 1997. The most alarming
contaminating factor in Vieques, and also the oldest,
historically, is the U.S. Navy. The fifty years that
the Navy has been operating in Vieques can be classified
as "a half century of environmental disaster."
- US Navy Not Wanted Here
- By Carmelo Ruiz, IPS, 10 April 1998. US Navy impact on
Vieques environment and health.
- Puerto Rican Youth Demand U.S. Military
Leave Vieques Island
- By Rolland Girard and Ron Richards in the
Militant, 20 April 1998. Article includes
- Vieques Residents Plan U.S. Base Protest
- Weekly News Update on the Americas, week of
June 14-20, 1998. Contamination of Vieques caused by US Navy.
- Press Release by Comité Pro Rescate y
Desarrollo de Vieques
- 20 April 1999. Accuses US of murdering David Sanes the
- Puerto Ricans Enraged by Navy Deaths
- By Chris Hawley, Associated Press, 23 April 1999. The
- Lawyers speak up against U.S. military
- By Carmelo Ruiz, IGC, 4 May 1999. Puerto Rican Bar
Association opposition to US in Vieques.
- Testimony by the Comité pro Rescate y
Descarrollo de Vieques before the United States Senate
Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
- By Comité Pro Rescate y Desarrollo de Vieques, 6
- La ponencia del PIP en la Comisión
deí Energí del Senado de EEUU
- By Ruben Berrios Martinez, 6 May 1999. Announcement of
planned civil disobedience by Puerto Rican leaders.
- Pentagon plans to take over Vieques;
'Accidental' U.S. Bombing Protested
- By Carlos Rovira, in Workers World, 13 May
1999. Re. conditions under US occupation.
- US, Puerto Rico Relations Strained
- By James Anderson, Associated Press, 25 May 1999. Effect
of the Vieques bombing accident on US - Boriken (Puerto Rico)