Hartford Web Publishing (Haines Brown) is not the author of the documents in World History Archives and does not presume to validate their accuracy or authenticity.
History of Southeast Asia in general
General and political history
- New Light on Gulf of Tonkin
- By Captain Ronnie E. Ford. With fresh evidence now available, claims that the Tonkin Gulf incident of 1964 was deliberately provoked gain new plausibility.
- Colby's Vietnam: History misrepresented
- Washington Post Op Ed excerpts. May 1, 1981
- Do Muoi Addresses Hanoi Party Committee
- By Voice of Vietnam, Hanoi, original in Vietnamese. 2300 gmt 27 December 1994.
- 50 years of Vietnam independence celebrated
- By Jim Genova, in People's Weekly World, 9 September, 1995. Hanoi celebration of the anniversary of the establishment of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam on 2 December, 1945.
- Teaching on the Vietnam War
- Dialog on H-World list. November, 1995. A few citations useful for war and revolution in Southeast Asia/Vietnam War course.
Economy and environment
- Unable to make the big leap, cooperataives face extinction
- From Vietnam Investment Review (Hanoi), 1 January, 1995. An economy based on cooperatives is yielding to a market economy and private ownership by the few.
- Vietnam Development; Construction; Trade
- By Laura Summers, 21 January, 1995. Citations of sources for Vietnam's economic development.
- Settling the scandals at the AUSTINH Ha Tinh joint venture once and for all
- By Thuy Ha, in Nhan Dan, 30 October, 1995. The AUSTINH joint venture with an Australian mining company violated Vietnamese law regarding trade, currency import/export, and protection of the environment.
- Vietnam's New Premier Urges Reform
- Associated Press. 26 September, 1997. Prime Minister Phan Van Khai represents the "reform" faction of the party (favors some privatization) vs. the "conservative" faction (favors ownership of productive resources by the people).
- Vietnam-Nike Fact Sheet
- From Thuyen, Nike in Vietnam Action Group. 13 November, 1996. Condition of labor in Nike's Vietnam shoe factories.
- Hong Kong toy factory commits serious health and safety violations and unfair labour practices in Vietnam
- From AMRC. 4 March, 1997. Re the Keyhinge factory that produces McDonald's give-away toys.
- Brutality in Vietnam
- By Bob Herbert, in New York Times, 28 March, 1997. The Times on Thuyen Nguyen's report on working conditions in Vietnam's Nike factories.
- Disney & McDonald's Linked to $0.06/Hour Sweatshop in Vietnam
- From Campaign for Labor Rights, 2 May, 1997. McDonald's gives away toys based on Disney characters. The toys are made by MB, which subcontracts work to the Keyhinge factory in Vietnam. This is part of a campaign to correct bad working conditions and low wages at the Keyhinge factory.
- South Korean supervisor found guilty by court
- From ICFTU OnLine, 27 May, 1997. Concern that South Korean supervisors over workers in South Korean plants located in Vietnam abuse the workers.
- More Workers Hospitalised at Keyhinge Toys/McDonalds in Vietnam
- From Asia Monitor Resource Center, 25 June, 1997. McDonald's visted their factory to resolve the health, saftely and low wage problems, but they persist.
- The Abortion Dilemma: What's behind one of the world's highest rates
- By Sangwon Suh and Ken Stier, in Asia Week, 23 May, 1997.